Friday, June 29, 2007

Vacation time at the Bastard Ranch...

My brain needs cigarettes. Hold on a moment. Ah, much better. Well, for ten days I'm on vacation from my job of making small arms ammunition. I work for a company that not only does that, but also ICBM'S (government contracts) and rockets for NASA. However, as stated, I'm just a worker bee that makes primers for machine guns and heavy artillery. Some of you may ask, 'how does that work on your conscience, Cameron?' Answer: see the first line of this post.

Anyway, here at the Bastard Ranch, we love down time. And seeing as how I'm behind on movie watching (The Departed, Pan's Labyrinth, Jeeves and Wooster, any number of my Wong Kar Wai films, etc...) and reading (I regret missing the Once Upon a Time Challenge hosted by friend and Avenger of Wrong Doings by blogger idiots, Carl), so it's time to catch up. I just finished Moorcock's Hawkmoon and I'm looking at these guys to read next...

Jim Thompson
Hunter S. Thompson
Poul Anderson
Haruki Murakami
Neil Gaiman

and of course Michael Moorcock.

I'm leaning towards the Gaiman and Murakami, as I have already read a book each from both Thompson's this year and a good deal of Moorcock's Eternal Champion series. Although, I do have that novel he wrote called Mother London, the predecessor of a book I tried to read and couldn't get to called King of the City. And then there is Anderson, whose Ensign Flandry series looks priceless. I love humor. I'll get to all of these by the end of the year because, I'm trying to read forty books this year. I know, forty is nothing to all of you, but I'm gaining back my old reading habits when I used to read ninety in a year. So please, have patience with this black soul.

Well, its past lunch time and I need to eat. So, until next time people. Keep those streets safe where you live.

thatblackbastard

4 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I like my new title! I'm gonna have to get that engraved and put it on my office door at work!

Sounds like you've got some amazing plans for your vacation! Can't wait to talk to you about Pan's. And I know I've said it before, but watch that Charlie Rose interview on the second disk, it is great.

Have you read Good Omens? You mentioned liking humor and I was curious if you have tried that one. I personally found it laugh-out-loud funny and really enjoyed it. I need to read that one to Mary sometime soon.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy every day off from the death factory! ;)

P.S., My wife does not have a google account but has read your posts and wants me to pass on that she really enjoys the way you write.

Ana S. said...

Hello!

You have some fine reading ahead of you. Neil Gaiman and Murakami are both fabulous authors.

You have some great movie watching awaiting you too - Pan's Labyrinth is, in my opinion, one of the best movies of the decade.

I second Carl's recommendation of Good Omens.

chrisa511 said...

Thirds for Good Omens!

Your vacation sounds well needed and sounds like it will be well spent. My kind of vacation! You're in for a treat with Pan's Labyrinth. I've been wanting to see Wong Kar Wai's 2046 for ages, but I've yet to see it. That one looked amazing.

Enjoy!

Jeff S. said...

Have a great vacation my friend. I also need to read Good Omens. I've never read Murakami so I'll e curious of your thoughts on him.